[Beowulf] recommendation on crash cart for a cluster room: full cluster KVM is not an option I suppose?

Beat Rubischon beat at 0x1b.ch
Tue Sep 29 23:30:09 PDT 2009

Hello!

Quoting <landman at scalableinformatics.com> (30.09.09 07:38):

> Most decent nodes will have IPMI and kvm over IP built in.  That and a
> reasonable serial concentrator will make your admins lives *much* easier.

+1 vote from me.

> Keep the crash cart, but don't spend more than $300 on it (monitor +
> keyboard/mouse and a cart that rolls).  It isn't for management, its for
> last resort.

One of the best solutions I saw so far was a KVM drawer in one rack with a
small KVM switch and a single, long cable per rack. Open the rack, attach
the cable and you're done. Moving a cart through a typical datacenter with
cables, boxes and other crap on the floor is usually a mess.

Beat

--
     \|/                           Beat Rubischon <beat at 0x1b.ch>
   ( 0^0 )                             http://www.0x1b.ch/~beat/