[Beowulf] ISO-8859-1?Q? about_?= my I/O

Steve Cousins cousins at umit.maine.edu
Mon Sep 28 15:43:30 PDT 2009

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009, Rahul Nabar wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Steve Cousins <cousins at umit.maine.edu> wrote:
>>> One thing to try with bonnie++ is to run multiple instances at the same
>>> time. For our tests, one single instance of bonnie showed 560 MB/sec writes
>>> and 524 MB/sec reads. Going to 4 instances at the same time brought it up to
>>> an aggregate of ~600 MB/sec writes and ~950 MB/sec reads.
>>
> That's interesting. Multiple bonnie++ instances boost the aggregate
> performance? Why is that? Just curious.

In our case we have a number of LUNS (RAID5 volumes) that are striped
together to make a single large volume (99 TB). By doing multiple tests at
the same time it can take advantage of hitting more LUNS at the same time.
So, this may not help you on your current server but it is worth a try,
especially if you get a new storage server.

>>> Once the server has the performance you want, I'd use Netcat from a
>>> number
>>
> Thanks! I've never tried using netcat. That's a good lead for a tool to try.

If you want, I can supply you with the scripts that I used to set up the
ports on the clients and the server and run the tests.

Steve