[Beowulf] Virtualization in head node ?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Sep 16 10:12:22 PDT 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 at 12:01pm, Robert G. Brown wrote

> Unless/until Xen or KVM or something else comes out with a similarly
> powerful and tricked out console and ease of use and (still, overall)
> reliability, VMware will be on my personal laptops for the rest of time.
> It's just too useful a tool to live without, if you are a serious
> computer geek who develops software, webware, does consulting, plays
> games, needs multiple OS's but only want to carry one box and don't want
> to have to reconfigure reboot to get to them.

I was a dyed-in-the-wool vmware user until quite recently, too, but the
pain of keeping it running on "current" distros (read: Fedora) finally
forced me to look elsewhere.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by
VirtualBox if you give it a shot.

Then again, who knows what Oracle will do with it...

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin