[Beowulf] Virtualization in head node ?

Reuti reuti at Staff.Uni-Marburg.DE
Tue Sep 15 16:05:44 PDT 2009

Am 14.09.2009 um 20:04 schrieb David Ramirez:

> Still a newbie in HPC, in the first stages of building a Beowulf
> cluster (8 nodes).
>
> I wonder if anybody out there has used Linux virtual machines in
> the head node, just to be able to experiment with different
> configurations & deployments and jump back without much effort if
> things go bad. Considering (out of experience in desktop) VMWare or
> Sun Virtualbox. Any hints, comments ?

I was also just thinking of it in the last couple of days. In the
past often a dedicated login- and dedicated file-server was used to
split the load. Putting the login-node in a virtual machine will
still keep the users away from the file-server, but allows you to
combine them in one piece of metal when it's powerful enough. Or
maybe even one virtual login node per user, when you don't allow
anyone seeing the actions of others.

To operate Sun VirtualBox w/o the graphical interface is possible,
and you can also direct the virtual console to any remote machine
using "rdesktop" as client on any platform you like.

-- Reuti