[Beowulf] Intra-cluster security

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Sep 13 04:18:02 PDT 2009

Hi,

Am 11.09.2009 um 21:39 schrieb Stuart Barkley:

> We are working with a couple small clusters (6-8 nodes) and will soon
> be working with some much larger cluster/supercomputer systems.  We
> are currently using SGE 6.2 for job queuing.  We use kerberos for
> authentication and ssh for system access.
>
> What are peoples thoughts about secure communications between the
> nodes of a cluster?  I see a cluster as a single computational
> resource and would like to see flexibility of communications between
> the nodes of the cluster.
>
> There seem to be a couple of approaches:
>
> - Old style rsh/rlogin.  Not acceptable for me.

I wouldn't be concerned by this per se, but I also disabled it (in /
etc/xinetd.d/rsh) because of another reason:

- I setup ssh hostbased authentication, but limit it to admin staff
with "AllowGroups admin". The ssh-keysign has to be set suid as you
mention below, I can also send you a rough outline of the necessary
steps.

- Users can login to any node by using an interactive job in SGE. For
this special interactive queue I set h_cpu=60, hence they can't abuse
it. SGE in turn will either use:

a) traditional rsh, but on a random port selected by SGE (this I have
right now)

b) a "builtin" method in the newer versions of SGE

c) plain ssh (but this will lack correct accounting), directed to a
special sshd_config (because of the AllowGroups rule in the default one)

d) ssh with a recompiled SGE with -tight-ssh flag for correct accounting

If you have more than one queue in addition to this interactive queue
on each system, you can't limit the maximum number of slots any
longer in the exechost definition (as than the interactive queue to
peek around would also be taken into account), but set it up in an
RQS (resource quota set) like:

limit        queues !login.q hosts {@dualquad} to slots=8

-- Reuti

PS: I saw on Debian, that their "su" will not only set the user, but
also remove any imposed cpu time limit by making an su to oneself.
For the SGE queue to impose the h_cpu limit this must be disabled
then. I don't know, whether this is still the Debian default.