[Beowulf] filesystem metadata mining tools

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Sat Sep 12 19:22:11 PDT 2009

Rahul Nabar wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Skylar Thompson <skylar at cs.earlham.edu> wrote:
>
>> What OS is this on?
>>

> Thanks Skylar! Linux. RedHat.
>
>> If you have dtrace available you can use that to at
>>

> I don't but let me try to install it.

I believe there's an alpha/beta-level release of both a dtrace kernel
module and the user-space tools for Linux. There's also SystemTap which
should give you similar data. I've only used dtrace on Solaris and
haven't used SystemTap at all, so YMMV.

>> Depending on what filesystem you have
>>

> ext3
>
> I need to see if this can be queried.

I don't think so, but you might be able to accomplish the same thing at
the application level. If you have a limited set of applications, you
could have them write the metadata you need into a database as they
create and update files.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/