[Beowulf] RAID for home beowulf

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Tue Oct 13 19:37:31 PDT 2009

----- "Tomislav Maric" <tomislav.maric at gmx.com> wrote:

> How do you mean differences in config? I'm configuring the master,
> and the other nodes are to be diskless.. I have separated these
> partitions:
>   /swap /boot /  /var and /home. Is this ok?

Yes, that's fine, there are 2 reasons to stick with
partitions in these days of large drives, and both
are really questions of preference rather than solid
technical reasons.

1) You can run different filesystems on them, so you
might want to be conservative with your root filesystem
and use ext3 but something faster for your home directory
and use XFS or ext4 (or visa versa).

For instance my work laptop has been using btrfs as /home
since February and I make sure I back that up just in case.
To date not had any issues though.

2) If something goes bonkers and fills /home then you don't
run out of space on vital parts of the filesystem like /var
so your logging or the apt-get dist-upgrade / yum upgrade you
were in the middle of is still running OK.

But a single partition (well, with a separate swap) is
going to be OK..

cheers,
Chris