[Beowulf] RAID for home beowulf

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Oct 13 17:35:13 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 06:27:25PM -0700, Greg Kurtzer wrote:

> Yes, I think we are in total agreement just saying it differently.
>
> Generally there is the core library stack and the rest... The core
> stack should NOT be rebuilt by the end users especially with
> non-standard compilers and/or optimizations as that will make for a
> very difficult to support system. This should be done by the
> distribution maintainers themselves such that it is maintainable,
> tested and optimized for the target platform.

But all distros aren't alike. If Red Hat wants to build a certain way,
they have enough QA and testing that I'll trust the result. If Joe
Small Distro Guy builds the entire distro with gcc -O3, and does a
small amount of QA on the result, the first thought that springs to
mind is "Gentoo! Run!!!"

-- greg