[Beowulf] Disappointing floating point performance for X5560 versus SPECmarks?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Oct 12 14:26:08 PDT 2009

Gerasimatos, Dimitrios V (343K) wrote:
> According to SPECfp2006, the X5560 should blow the doors off of the E5430.
> The X5560 scores 36 while the E5430 scores about 18.
>

> However, our own benchmarking using nbench, unixbench, and a home-grown
> utility (twobod) all show that any differences are attributed to clock speed.

I wouldn't use specfp**** ratios as a realistic guide for performance
comparison.  As always, use your own code.  If your code shows 2x,
great.  If not, then attribute the specfp**** to what they are
(marketing numbers, with some grounding in reality, but not a firm
comparison metric for dissimilar apps).

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO