[Beowulf] Ahoy shipmates

Marian Marinov mm at yuhu.biz
Mon Oct 12 13:33:08 PDT 2009

On Monday 12 October 2009 20:08:08 Hearns, John wrote:
> Flicking through New Scientist dated 3rd October, an article on green
> technologies suggests
> sending data centres out to sea. The idea is to use raw seawater for
> cooling, and you could use wave power for
> generating electricity. Seemingly this guy's idea:
> http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~vahdat/
>

> So to be a Beowulf guru of the future you'll have to have your sea legs
> as well as your IPMI fingers.
> Just as long as there is a rum ration I'll take the King's shilling!
>
> The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of
> the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not
> copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return
> it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.

I don't know about the wave power but the cooling power of the ocean or sea
water is pretty good idea to look at.

And add to that the Container based DC designs, you can have a very efficient
Underwater DC. The only problem will be physically accessing the DC. Or you
can simply build your DC near the shore and have pipes directly to the
ocean/sea(however this approach will not be as effective as an underwater DC.

Maybe one thing that we are missing here is how this will effect the
environment of the ocean/sea shores. We will effectively add a few hundred
water heaters.

--
Best regards,
Marian Marinov