[Beowulf] RAID for home beowulf

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 4 23:35:12 PDT 2009

2009/10/5 Nifty Tom Mitchell <niftyompi at niftyegg.com>:

> I like Ubuntu because it facilitates my WiFi and graphics support better than
> some others.  It is also quite current in image tools so it is the distro
> I connect my camera to more often than my other systems.  I can also

I gotta put in a reply here for SuSE. The SuSE desktop (either
openSuSE or SLED) has plenty of eye candy, and works perfectly as my
day-to-day desktop - plug in cameras, USB disks etc. and they're
recognised, and wifi just works too. Accelerated 3D graphics support
for AMD and Nvidia is fine - indeed there is a 'one click install' for
the proprietary drivers.
When you go onto your Beouwulf with SuSE you get compatibility with
all compilers and all the ISV type codes I've ever seen.

Besides that. SuSE were the first with an amd64 distribution (OK
that's well in the past). However you'd be hard pushed to get anything
other than SuSE running on a big Altix. (Actually, I did Google for
this and people have got Debian running - as to why you would put in
the time and effort to do that I don't know).