[Beowulf] RAID for home beowulf

Tomislav Maric tomislav.maric at gmx.com
Sat Oct 3 13:48:58 PDT 2009

First of all: thank you very much for the advice, Skylar. :)

So, all I need to do is to create the same partitions on three disks and
set up a RAID 5 on /home since I'll be doing CFD simulations (long
sequential writes) and use RAID 1 for other (system) partitions, to
account for recovery of the system in case of disk failure because log
writes are sequential and small in volume. I was reading about RAID 0,
but I'm not sure how safe is to use it for storing computed data and how
much speed would I get compared to RAID 5.

Sorry for the totally newbish questions.

I'm using Ubuntu, and after I install it, I'll try to configure the RAID
manually. How do I make sure that the boot loader is on all disks? I
mean, isn't RAID going to make the OS look at the /boot partition that's
spread over 3 HDDs as a single mount point?

Best regards,
Tomislav