[Beowulf] MPI Processes + Auto Vectorization

Håkon Bugge h-bugge at online.no
Mon Nov 30 23:54:54 PST 2009

On Dec 1, 2009, at 7:14 , amjad ali wrote:
> My question is that if we do not have free cpu cores in a PC or
> cluster (all cores are running MPI processes), still the auto-
> vertorization is beneficial? Or it is beneficial only if we have
> some free cpu cores locally?

Amjad,

Vectorization is in x86_64 parlor a compilation technique where the
compiler will utilize certain instructions which operate on short
vectors. When you execute such a program on a particular core, these
vector-instructions will execute on special execution unit _within_
the core you're executing on. Hence, no additional resources or cores
are required to use vector instructions and you will benefit from them
independent of whether you fully use all cores in your cluster or not.

Håkon