[Beowulf] Should I go for diskless or not?

Nifty Tom Mitchell niftyompi at niftyegg.com
Thu May 21 22:29:38 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 01:48:57PM +0530, Dr Cool Santa wrote:

>    Finally I was able to get the diskless set up running, and the machines
>    each). Since this is diskless at the moment, and the virtually each
>    machines hostname and ip address changes according to the order they
>    are switched on, you can think how hard it is going to be to access the
>    hard disks from some node.
Is this DHCP assigning host names and IP addresses?
If so it is possible (and advisable) to take advantage of
DHCPs ability to associate a physical MAC address with
an IP address/ host name.   This lets you correctly track logs
and hardware errors should you need to.

I like to leave a small handfull of addresses that can be
assigned on the fly -- this makes it easy to connect a new
system and configure it.  It also makes it easy to connect
a laptop and fix things should I need to.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?