[Beowulf] Lowered latency with multi-rail IB?

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Fri Mar 27 10:58:20 PDT 2009

In message from Dow Hurst DPHURST <DPHURST at uncg.edu> (Thu, 26 Mar 2009
23:32:23 -0400):
>We've got a couple of weeks max to finalize spec'ing a new cluster.
>Has
>anyone knowledge of lowering latency for NAMD by implementing a
>multi-rail IB solution using MVAPICH or Intel's MPI?  My research
>tells
>me low latency is key to scaling our code of choice, NAMD,
>effectively.  Has anyone cut down real effective latency
>to below 1.0us using multi-rail IB for molecular dynamics codes such
>Gromacs, Amber, CHARMM, or NAMD?  What about lowered latency for
>parallel abnitio calculations involving NwChem, Jaguar, or Gaussian
>using multi-rail IB?

In opposition to molecular dynamics programs (Gromacs/Amber/Charmm)
where low latency is necessary, for some quantum chemical programs
(Gaussian, Gamess-US) there is relative low interconnect dependency.
I measured message lengthes for Gaussian-03 for a set of calculation
methods, and this messages are middle-to-large in sizes. NWChem is the
only quantum-chemical program I know, which require high interconnect
performance. I don't know about Jaguar.

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Computer Assistance to Chemical Research Center
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry RAS
Moscow