[Beowulf] Wired article about Go machine

Geoffrey Jacobs gdjacobs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 13:52:10 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Vincent Diepeveen <diep at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I'm not sure what environment you guys are working,
> but the average IQ100 office personnel is a lot more clumsy than
> you guys can imagine.
>
> In general of course if someone sucks in everything, he or she still can go
> work
> for a bank.
>
> Though nowadays i shouldn't say that too loud either it seems :)
>
> Bad paid and simple work. Not so long ago i saw 'em still use at one
> bank OS-2 from IBM as client :)

Bank employees use what they're told to use. No exceptions.

Most posters here are so far away from normal world that they have no clue
> about 99.99% of workfloor.

Define normal in terms of business. Ford used to announce an executive
firing by chopping up the poor sods furniture. Is that normal?

Mistake 1 they make is retry the same thing 100 times. Those posting here
> for sure will
> try each time something else until they figure it out.
>
> At best you can say that open source is progressing. It's far from usable.
> Then we had some workable x-windows type GUI, suddenly it was kicked out
> and replaced by
> big crap called x.org. Eating huge RAM and ugly slow. Doesn't even run
> well at a tad older machines
> with a bit less RAM.

I hope you're distinguishing between x.org and the windowing manager.

So in order to run open-office latest versions, you also need an expensive
> new machine. That's another
> weird phenomena.

No. Please stop. A processor like a Celeron 600 will run OpenOffice easily
on Fedora/Mandrake/Ubuntu.  The same processor will run wonderfully using
something lightweight like XFCE. It was a little slow, but I used to run
OpenOffice 2 on a 266Mhz IBM laptop. Not recommended for XP and Office.

--
MORE CORE AVAILABLE, BUT NOT FOR YOU