[Beowulf] One time password generators...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Mar 25 04:22:11 PDT 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Billy Crook wrote:

>> Have you tried either or both of them?
>>   rgb
>
> I've considered the former, but I wouldn't have the patience to hand
> type something unique every time, so I just keep long passphrases and
> regularly change them.

> Google Code page.  I've not tested most of it.  Your mileage may vary.
> I'd like to hear what others think of these little gadgets as well.
>
> Here's what a few from my 'demo key' look like:
> ecebedeeefegeheiejekecebhvbcdiiiirfekttdkvlfhbuldbgedtlc
> ecebedeeefegeheiejekecebhktreuklveuvgbhhfcrlfduvjrvinbtc
> ecebedeeefegeheiejekecebcvfkvtbnhhtifgckuffffklcnjbjcbdu

Well, that's more than enough to convince me to give them a trial.
They're more expensive than mypw in the short run, but general purpose
and rekeyable means a lot, and it sounds like they (at least) have a
strong commitment to the open source universe.  Sure, their tool may be
windows-centric at first, but I can't blame them for that -- that's
where a good chunk of their money will come from.  But the open source
community will make even better tools on their own given time and
information, and it sounds like the information required is openly
provided.

So I guess I'll visit their site again and buy one or two.  Maybe I'll
see if I can get OPM^* to pay for the OTPT, heh heh...

    rgb

* OPM = "Other People's Money"