[Beowulf] Wired article about Go machine

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Mar 24 08:02:47 PDT 2009

Gerry Creager wrote:
> I'm not even sure why I'm entering into this...
>
> Vincent, I use OpenOffice on a daily basis, interact with Windows users
> w/ Word, and have no problems.  I do considerably more than printing
> labels, too.  We trade documents and spreadsheets back and forth, in
> support of my projects.
>
> The only application I've seen trouble with was a document created using
> Office (not OpenOffice) for the Mac, by a user who sent the result out

We too use OOo for pretty much everything.  Though when we get documents
from outside, in many cases they are OfficeXXXX where XXXX is some
number (2000, 2003, 2007).  Invariably some formatting gets lost in the
conversion process.  Annoying but it happens.

I should note also that formatting gets lost converting from 2000 to
2003 to 2007.  Its not an OOo feature ... it is a problem with format
conversion ... and the economic self interest of one organization to get
everyone to run their latest and greatest

(Hey Microsoft ... if you actually would release an Office for Linux,
more than a few people might, I dunno ... buy it?  I would)

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com