[Beowulf] switch selection

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Mar 5 10:55:59 PST 2009

I recall a couple of recent arguments, so I'm wondering if someone could
summarize the discussion on gigabit switches for HPC/clusters.

1.  If memory serves, NetGear wasn't a great choice?
2.  HP Procurve got some good reviews.

I've been asked for an opinion by some folks building a small, dedicated
cluster.  I'd told them of my misgivings on NetGear, and now I've gotta
give a recommendation.

I am asking for the collective wisdom.  That said, I'll comment that
I've been happy with out Procurve 5012zl but it's a bit larger than they
need or would grow into.

thanks, Gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983