[Beowulf] dedupe filesystem

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 5 08:12:42 PDT 2009

2009/6/5 Joe Landman <landman at scalableinformatics.com>:

> Look at it this way ... what is the cost/benefit to the movie-company to
> buy/build expensive storage and build tiers, as compared to much less
> expensve replicated/HSMed storage?  I think the writing is clearly on the
> wall on this.  Lots of the folks in this industry will disagree, but follow
> what the customers are actually doing.

There is a science fiction novel which describes how women will live
forever. As women become older, their life expectancy will increase as
new and expensive treatments become available to medical science to
extend their lifetime. At the point where the rate of increase becomes
more than one year added per year, you are effectively immortal. Of
course only women, being wise enough to invest their money in compound
interest bearing schemes will benefit from this. Men, who smoke and
drink at eg. the LECBIG, will die too early for their money to pay for
extended treatments.

So what we really want is a storage system that will swallow up drives
as they get bigger and bigger - so as your researchers create more and
more data, or stream in more and more satellite/accelerator data/logs
of phone calls (a la GCHQ) then your storage system is expanding at a
faster rate.