[Beowulf] Cluster Networking

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Wed Jul 15 04:56:42 PDT 2009

> 1. Is there any influence on performance of a NFS-server from the
usage
> of x32 CPU and OS instead of x64, if all other characteristics of the
> system, i.e. amount of RAM, soft-SATA-II RAID 0, Realtek GLAN NIC are
> the same?

I would say no - but I don't run any 32 bit machines as NFS servers!
To be honest, in the HPC world 32 bit CPUs are dead and gone - just get
the 64 bit one.
Being even more honest, I would look at this Realtek NIC and consider
putting in
An Intel E1000 based card. Also look closely at network tuning
parameters for NFS,
Rather than looking at the choice between 32 and 64 bit CPUs.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.