[Beowulf] WD 2TB Disk Drives - Enterprise or Consumer?

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 27 11:25:49 PST 2009

To follow up on our recent discussion of enterprise
versus consumer drives, I see the following in
the description of the new 2TB Western Digital
drives:

"StableTrac, which secures the motor shaft at both
ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize
platters for accurate tracking during read and write
operations; IntelliPower, which fine-tunes the balance
of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms;
IntelliSeek, which calculates optimum seek speeds to
lower power consumption, noise, and vibration; and
NoTouch ramp load technology, which is designed to
ensure the recording head never touches the disk media."

(from AnandTech's website).

I wonder if these drives will come out in both enterprise
and consumer versions. Note especially the mention
of vibration reduction.

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest