[Beowulf] ECC exerciser/exorciser?

Guy Coates gmpc at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Jan 26 08:32:14 PST 2009

> - do you have or know of a good exerciser for testing ECC's?  yes, I
> know about memtest86, but I'm more curious about a load that could be
> run under
> linux.  my thinking is that ecc's are triggered by bad reads, so something
> which allocates all memory and then continually reads it would be best.

stress
 http://weather.ou.edu/~apw/projects/stress/stress.html

memtester

http://pyropus.ca/software/memtester/

> - does "numactl --hardware" work correctly for you?  I see something like:

The numbers look vaguely sane for me:

numactl 0.9.11-2

# numactl --hardware
available: 2 nodes (0-1)
node 0 cpus: 0 1
node 0 size: 4095 MB
node 0 free: 1035 MB
node 1 cpus: 2 3
node 1 size: 4096 MB
node 1 free: 39 MB
node distances:
node   0   1
  0:  10  20
  1:  20  10

dmidecode can give you information on your dimms too.

<snip>

Handle 0x0019, DMI type 17, 21 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x0017
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 72 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 2048 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: 1
        Locator: DIMM2
        Bank Locator: Slot 2
        Type: DDR
        Type Detail: Synchronous

<snip>

Cheers,

Guy

--
Dr. Guy Coates,  Informatics System Group
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1HH, UK