[Beowulf] RE: Capitalization Rates - How often should you replace a cluster? (resent - 1st sending wasn't posted ).

richard.walsh at comcast.net richard.walsh at comcast.net
Tue Jan 20 16:25:12 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Lindahl" <lindahl at pbm.com>

>Hey! In year 4 it's about the same to keep the old cluster, or throw
>it out and buy a new one. (If I want to spend the same $$, I can buy a
>cluster 1/4 the size, but same performance, as the original one.)
>
>And in year 5, it's a big win to buy the new stuff.

While Greg's analysis makes sense, one should probably note that

transistor-count-driven performance improvement assumptions yield

smaller practical benefits today where bandwidth continues to lag and

parallel performance improvement is not automatic.  A gain in throughput

performance is guaranteed by the Moore's Law doubling in the multicore

era if your  workflow is throughput oriented.

;-)

rbw