[Beowulf] AMD quad-core recommendations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Jan 20 05:50:01 PST 2009

This is the time of the year where I annoy the list with pointless questions again.

I used to use an X2100 M2 Sun box as a staple, but for some unfathomable
reason Sun decided to jack up the dual-core barebone price by 300+ EUR.
Real smart move, that.

I've used HP ProLiant DL165G5, but FSC VFY Primergy Eco 230R is even
cheaper albeit 2U, and can take up to 6 SATA or SAS drives, which is a bonus
for a particular I/O-intensive use pattern. Anyone using these, and
is happy with the remote management/SNMP? Or should I ruy away from these, screaming?

Or is an equivalent Dell box (which?) the way to go?

If anyone is familiar with a nice cheap Phenom/Phenom II 1U rackmount barebone
of about 65 cm depth which which can take unbuffered DIMMs and 2-4 SATA
drives (I could survive without IPMI, I guess) you would be my absolute hero.

Thanks,

Eugene