[Beowulf] Please help to setup Beowulf

Glen Beane Glen.Beane at jax.org
Fri Feb 20 07:37:05 PST 2009

On 2/20/09 10:22 AM, "Reuti" <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:

Am 20.02.2009 um 14:36 schrieb Prentice Bisbal:

> Bill Broadley wrote:
>> SGE does seem the default for
>> many small/medium clusters these days (and is the Rocks default)
>> but does make
>> some things strangely hard, usually with a work around though.  In
>> particular
>> I find the lack of a straight forward way to handle requesting
>> nodes and
>> processors per node strange.
>
> Me, too. Users are asking me for ppn=x functionality like Torque/PBS
> has, and I'm finding pretty complicated to implement on SGE.

Well, you have to setup nearly identical PEs like openmpi2, openmpi4
with a fixed allocation rule of 2 or 4 respectively.

OTOH: Once I looked into Torque and found, that with "nodes=2:ppn=2"
I got just one node with 4 slots in total of course. I don't know,
whether it can still happen to get such a distribution.

yes,  you certainly can get such a distribution with torque.  Moab and Maui can be configured to remap a nodes=X:ppn=Y to some other configuration to improve utilization,  but you can turn that feature off and then the user gets precisely the distribution that they request.  As far as I know work is being done to allow the behavior to be chosen at submit time.

--
Glen L. Beane
Software Engineer