[Beowulf] Problem with ext3 filesystem?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Feb 12 10:27:56 PST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 at 6:12pm, Dan.Kidger at quadrics.com wrote

> And anyway - I thought the maximum size for ext3 was 8TB ?
>
> I know that there are patches to bring it up to 16TB, but does anybody
> trust these and use them for production systems?

16TB ext3 support was included as a technology preview in RHEL5 and fully
supported in 5.1.  I've got a couple of >8TB ext3 FSes.  Why ext3?
Because nothing else is as well supported by the vendor on RHEL/CentOS.
For primary file servers, I don't want to muck about with add-on kernel
modules, "plus" kernels, or anything else of that sort.  I want to run as
close to stock as possible.  And on anything RHEL derived, that means
ext3.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin