[Beowulf] What is the right lubricant for computer rack sliding rails?yh

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Feb 9 12:40:00 PST 2009

For truly expedient...

Stack all chassis in rack with no screws. Front panel ears in front of side rails.
Put 6 foot length of angle iron down front of rack in front of all chassis. (or a wood 2x4 of suitable length)
(or two pieces of wood, one on each side, covering the rack ears)
Ratchet strap* around entire rack, about 3 feet from floor. Tighten.
Second ratchet strap around entire rack, about 5 feet from floor. Tighten.

Done**

* Duct tape could be used as well.
**  (the rack will almost certainly be bent by this, and not usable for any other scheme, but hey, if you never have to take the things out, who cares)

Jim