[Beowulf] Re: Geriatric computer does not stay up

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu Dec 17 11:39:48 PST 2009

Hi David

There is more than one version of this motherboard,
hence I may be dead wrong about yours.

In any case, I have the mobo user manual here.
You can download it from Tyan also (with an appendix):

http://www.tyan.com/archive/products/html/tigermpx.html
ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/m_s2466_120.pdf
ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/a_s2466_110.pdf

The manual says that jumper J86 disables/enables
the onboard "LAN" (3Com 3C905c).
Onboard Ethernet is *disabled* when the jumper is *closed*.
(It is probably open now, no jumper,
assuming onboard Ethernet is currently enabled.)

J86 is next to the motherboard edge, near PCI slot #4,
probably near the back of the node case.

Also, it is unclear whether PXE boot will work with a PCI NIC,
but it may.

Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa
Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA