[Beowulf] A question about antique hardware

Bogdan Costescu bcostescu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 10:07:42 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Gus Correa <gus at ldeo.columbia.edu> wrote:
> Did anybody ever get Gigabit Ethernet NICs to work on
> the Tyan Tiger S2466-4M motherboards under Linux?

I had a few nodes with this mainboard and used one Intel 82541 (not
sure about the number though, it's a short card which supports both
PCI-32 and PCI-64, Gbit over copper) in each. The nodes were usually
stable under load-moderate load, but would not survive a combined
net+disk load if I was to use them f.e. as NFS servers. Generally
speaking, I had the impression that the interrupt handling on these
mainboards was faulty; plus maybe also the power regulation... Nodes
with these mainboards were the most unstable that I've ever had so,
for reduced headache, I would suggest just going with something more
recent.

Cheers,
Bogdan