[Beowulf] Intel shows 48-core 'datacentre on a chip'

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Wed Dec 2 16:02:13 PST 2009

> SCC combines 24 dual-core processing elements, each with its own router, four
> DDR3 memory controllers capable of handling up to 8GB apiece, and a very fast

sounds a fair amount like larrabee to me.

> you needed your own datacentre. Now, you just need your own chip," said

that has to be one of the most asinine things I've heard recently.

> The on-chip network is configured as a 6x4 node, two-dimensional mesh. It has

hmm, larrabee rumors indicate a dual-ring bus, not 2d mesh ala tilera.

non-coherent cores sharing a small number of dram interfaces also sounds
like an interesting trick.  it implies that at some level, there's a table
controlling which cores see which chunks of memory...