[Beowulf] GPU question

amjad ali amjad11 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 00:42:36 PDT 2009

Hello All,

I perceive following computing setups for GP-GPUs,

1)      ONE PC with ONE CPU and ONE GPU,

2)      ONE PC with more than one CPUs and ONE GPU

3)      ONE PC with one CPU and more than ONE GPUs

4)      ONE PC with TWO CPUs (e.g. Xeon Nehalems) and more than ONE GPUs
(e.g. Nvidia C1060)

5)      Cluster of PCs with each node having ONE CPU and ONE GPU

6)      Cluster of PCs with each node having more than one CPUs and ONE GPU

7)      Cluster of PCs with each node having ONE CPU and more than ONE GPUs

8)      Cluster of PCs with each node having more than one CPUs and more
than ONE GPUs.

Which of these are good/realistic/practical; which are not? Which are quite
“natural” to use for CUDA based programs?

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Will a cuda based program will be equally good for
some/all of these setups or we need to write different CUDA based programs
for each of these setups to get good efficiency?

Comments are welcome also for AMD/ATI FireStream.

With best regards,
AMJAD ALI.