[Beowulf] Anybody going with AMD Istanbul 6-core CPU's?

Jason Clinton jclinton at advancedclustering.com
Tue Aug 25 12:49:34 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Steve Cousins<cousins at umit.maine.edu> wrote:
> I haven't seen anybody here talking about the 6-core AMD CPU's yet. Is
> anybody trying these out? Anybody have real-world comparisons (say WRF) of
> scalability of a 12-core system vs. a 16 thread Nehalem system?

I ran a benchmark awhile ago and published it on our blog:
http://www.advancedclustering.com/company-blog/molecular-dynamics-amd-vs-intel.html

A co-worker, Shane, is working on a WRF benchmark.

In short, it depends on the code, but it's a formidable competitor.

--
Jason D. Clinton, Advanced Clustering Technologies
913-643-0306, http://twitter.com/HPCClusterTech