[Beowulf] Help for terrible NFS write performance

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Aug 21 22:44:44 PDT 2009

> Are you suggesting that running nosync in an hpc environment might
> be a good idea ?  We had that discussion with our integrator and
> were assured that running nosync was the path to damnation and would
> probably grow hair on our palms.

Ever since "nosync" was invented, almost all people have used it
almost all of the time. It provides a huge benefit with a very modest
chance of damnation and hair growth. "sync" still has a chance of
damnation; anyone who tells you that it's perfect is lying.

I would suggest getting a new integrator. Really. This is basic stuff.

-- greg