[Beowulf] Re: amd 3 and 6 core processors

richard.walsh at comcast.net richard.walsh at comcast.net
Thu Aug 20 15:35:34 PDT 2009

Many good points above and in Greg's earlier note. Its all about yield
and what you can fit on the chip at a given line width.

In the past, binning by clock was the primary (only?) choice to bring up
yields. As chips have grown in size and evolved toward multi-core,
degrading cores has been a economic side-benefit. IBM was one of
the first to use this approach (first with dual-core too), when they sold dual-core
Power series chips with one core disable to give the remaining core
maximum bandwidth. There is little benefit in developing processing
for real 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ... etc. core chips. Better to start with a standard
process and core-count, and degrade it to fill lower power and performance
bins. The Nehalem micro-architecture is available as a dual core offering. It
is not clear to me (someone here may know), whether this is not just a
degraded quad-core, or a true dual core. This pinout is different, so
perhaps it is a true dual-core. I would also like to know how Intel and
AMD are disabling/degrading the cores. They very like have built
in circuits that they can "burn out" to ensure physical incapacity. Still,
perhaps it is done another way. With Nehalem and its on-chip power
management unit, dynamic "soft" disabling may be all that is needed.

As folks here are I am sure aware, Intel will have a true 8-core offering
in the next 3 to 6 months which puts them in a position to offer 5 and
7 core degraded processors as well.

rbw