[Beowulf] Beowulf SysAdmin Job Description

Steve Herborn herborn at usna.edu
Wed Apr 29 14:17:09 PDT 2009

Right now "I" think a lot of what you say is from the perspective of "while
true at the time".

As HPCC goes mainstream and all the bugs, wrinkles, and bumps in the road
are straightened away we'll begin to see the Scientists who developed (and
were forced to maintain) them move on to more esoteric conundrums that face
them and their research.  I have no idea what the next great break-through
in computing will be, put I highly doubt from a processing perspective it
will be the IT guys who've been forced into standardization, availability
and cost reduction.

Eventually even HPCC will get homogenized and integrated into an
organizations overall greater IT structure as these systems are used more &
more for business purposes.  At that time a plain-old Unix SysAdmin just
might do, be they self-taught or degreed.

People end up working with computers as a primary job for any number of
reasons, but I do not consider that to be necessarily working in IT.

The one thing that does seem to be apparent is not an awful lot of people
have HPCC SysAdmin as a job description.  I suspect most have some other
type of job description and ended up doing HPCC work out of necessity to
fulfill their primary job role.

Or, on the other hand I'm completely out to lunch.  :)

Steven A. Herborn
U.S. Naval Academy
Advanced Research Computing
410-293-6480 (Desk)