[Beowulf] simulating worst case behavior from my cluster. request 8 cpus such that no two are on the same node.

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 13:46:34 PDT 2009

I am trying to simulate worst-case behavior of a job on our cluster
where one job would get 8 cpus but one each from a different
compute-server. Each server has 8cpus.

How can I do that? Server names: noce01 through node23. Scheduler PBS-Torque
Super-scheduler MAUI

Normally I request using:
#PBS -l nodes=8          #####any 8 cpus

#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=8 ########## 8 cpus on a single server

#PBS -l nodes=node17:ppn=8########8 cpus on a specific server node17

This time I want one each from any 8 servers from the cluster. Without
blocking the remaining 7 cpus on that node. The nodes are indeed set
up as shared by default.  Any way to do this?

--
Rahul