[Beowulf] Problem with ext3 filesystem?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Apr 20 06:00:27 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:50:45PM +1000, Chris Samuel wrote:

> > has anyone seen a performance-oriented comparison
> > of zfs with alternatives?
>
> Somewhat dated now (tests done mid 2007) but here's a
> summary of the Bonnie results for a whole bunch of
> Linux filesystems plus ZFS on Nexenta (OpenSolaris):
>
> http://www.csamuel.org/articles/emerging-filesystems-200709/#id2538499
>
> Basically ZFS was OK, but was beaten by one Linux FS
> or another in most tests except for block rewrites
> and screamed ahead for block reads (very impressive,
> double the best Linux filesystem).
>
> But a lot of work has happened since then (2.6.22.1)
> so I doubt it's that useful these days..

I've tested a 3.6 TByte 4x 1 TByte SATA zfs raidz2 on
FreeBSD (FreeNAS 0.7 amd64, Athlon 64 2 GHz, 2 GByte RAM,
Gigabit Ethernet, no jumbo frames) yesterday.

Performance was somewhere in 100-150 MBit/s, quite choppy
(CPU load around 50%), which is rather awful. I've had one
drive with bad sectors, so I'll try again, but I presume it
won't make a lot of difference.

OpenSolaris will probably kill FreeBSD dead inasmuch zfs performance
is concerned.