[Beowulf] Surviving a double disk failure

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sun Apr 19 02:00:24 PDT 2009

----- "Joe Landman" <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:

> We have 1 customer using 24 drives (22 for data with 2 hot spares) as
> an  md raid6 on DeltaV.  Normally we'd suggest something smaller
> (collections of RAID6 and then striping across them to form
> RAID60's).

In our paranoia after our bad IBM experience the new
setup is a RAID-60 where the 4 RAID-6 components are
just 4 x 1TB disks (Hitachi, FWIW).

So our users are now spread over two of these, each
with about 8TB usable.  So far so good (plus we managed
to almost double our disk capacity for users).

cheers,
Chris