[Beowulf] Beowulf Storage Node

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at atlanticlinux.ie
Wed Apr 15 05:18:26 PDT 2009

Matt Lawrence wrote:
> Sure it is.  The only issue you may run into is that the partition
> containing /boot can't be on software RAID, grub & lilo don't know how
> to deal with RAID partitions.  My solution has been to put /boot on
> Compact Flash that is plugged into the motherboard IDE connector via a
> $5 adapter card.

Hhhm,

I have a bunch of servers here with / as a RAID1 software raid volume
and grub works perfectly (does seem to have problems with booting off of
a RAID5 volume though). Furthermore, with a little manual intervention,
you can install GRUB to the MBR of boot drives and everything works fine
in the event of either disk failing (or at least being unplugged from
the motherboard which was all I did in testing).

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy     Atlantic Linux         http://www.atlanticlinux.ie
Registered in Ireland, no. 376591 (144 Ros Caoin, Roscam, Galway)