[Beowulf] Surviving a double disk failure

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Mon Apr 13 09:56:20 PDT 2009

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 at 2:46pm, David Mathog wrote

> Joshua Baker-LePain  wrote:
>
>> I currently backup a bit more than 16TB to an LTO3 library and don't find
>> it that painful.  I use AMANDA and break the data down into bite-size
>> chunks.  AMANDA handles spreading these chunks out over the whole backup
>> cycle, so that each night's backup is about the same size (and so takes
>> about the same amount of time).  Each "chunk" gets a full dump once per
>> cycle and incrementals in between.
>
> Is a lot of your data static and/or in "small" files?  Would your backup
> method work if the RAID held many large files, most of which were
> modified each day?

Define small and large.  On the volumes I was referring to, files range
from few KB text files to several GB data files.  And AMANDA could be made
to work with the situation you describe, as long as the you can physically
move the amount of data you're talking about in your backup window.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin