[Beowulf] Repenting for sins against Dell (on good Friday, no less)

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Fri Apr 10 09:58:03 PDT 2009

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 at 12:51pm, Mark Hahn wrote

>> Erm, I just (as in, this week) upgraded the BIOS of a batch of DL160 G5s
>> from within Linux.
>
> nice.  for a lot of models, they make available a dos/win exe
> that produces a bootable floppy image.  kind of a pain.

Indeed.

> being able to check and interpret bios settings (from the normal OS)
> would be a major advantage.  being able to set them would be very nice
> as well, even if the change didn't take effect until the bios ran again
> (next boot).

I cannot second this heartily enough.  Somebody please write this tool.
I'd even settle for a reliable way to clone a BIOS image (custom settings
and all) from one machine to the rest of the batch.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin