[Beowulf] Repenting for sins against Dell (on good Friday, no less)

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Fri Apr 10 09:24:24 PDT 2009

Mark Hahn wrote:
>>> I'd like to add that Dell's DKMS (Dynamics Kernel Management System) is
>>> great:
>>>
>>> http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml#dkms
>
> really?  I've never much seen the point, since when I want a kernel
> update, it's almost never for drivers, but more fundamental parts of
> the kernel, often not even modules.  I suppose that a vendor's
> responsibility might focus on drivers, though.

It's useful because it will automatically build and install existing
kernel modules for newly-installed kernels. Many vendors ship drivers as
RPMs separate from the kernel, so they won't get updated when the kernel
is updated unless you use something like dkms.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/