[Beowulf] Interesting google server design

Tiago Marques a28427 at ua.pt
Sat Apr 4 11:37:27 PDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Bill Broadley <bill at cse.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Robert G. Brown wrote:

> >> It looks to me like 100% of the airflow through the case goes through
> >> the PS, and in fact the PS fan is the only one driving front-to-back
> >> flow.
> >
> > As it is in a lot of PC cases, but I can't help but think that having
> > the PS in the case itself does raise the temperature in there because it
> > itself gets warm and is in contact with the air in the dead air pocket
> > underneath the PS bracket.
>
> Most normal cases I've seen have a power supply in the top rear and suck
> air
> from the bottom of the power supply (usually very near the cpu) and exhaust
> it
> out the back.  So while it burns about 10% of the energy for the PC
> (typical
> efficiencies in the nicer power supplies are around 90%) very little of
> that
> heat should flow upstream.... unless you lock your PC in a cabinet.  For
> this
> reason I've found it quite strange that high end cases (apple, antex,
> lian-li,
> and others) have put the power supply in a separate airflow chamber in the
> bottom of the case.  Seems of no benefit to the CPU/GPU/motherboard where
> most
> of the heat is generated.

It's of benefit for the PSU and it's done on purpose. It's done to extend
the lifespan of the PSU's components and to make it run cooler and more
silently. In high-end systems with kW PSUs you have a lot of heat generated
by the PSU itself, which when pulling hot air from 2 or 3 graphics cards and
an overclocked CPU starts having an intake not of 20-25ºC but of 35-40ºC. No
PSU can handle this kind of temperature silently. It's manageable in winter
but a problem in summer, when PSUs should not intake air at more than 50ºC
or it will exhibit sub-optimal power delivery.
Also, the separate air-channel usually serves HDDs and PSU, which go very
well together.

Best regards,
                          Tiago Marques