[Beowulf] Rackable / SGI

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Apr 2 13:02:15 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 06:40:47PM +0200, Loic Tortay wrote:

> Ah ah ah, you've obviously never seen a "Thumper". :)

OK, I must have ass-u-me-d something when it came out -- they were
touting "48 drives in 5U!!", right at the same time that a commodity
chassis with 48 drives in 5U (and room for a mobo, it wasn't the
external RAID chassis that you're referring to) came out.

Looking at an image of Thumper, it's the descendant of the first Sun
external RAID system, which I had the misfortune to eval in 1996.

The hard part in a 48-disk system is the software, not the hardware.

-- greg