[Beowulf] Rackable / SGI

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian.cavalotti.work at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 06:48:54 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 01 April 2009 14:56:46 Joe Landman wrote:
> As for the market shrinking, well ... this does happen.  We (Scalable)
> are happy to help customers out (service/support on existing systems,
> new clusters/storage), as is Don's company (Penguin), as are other
> companies here.  Some of us are doing well and growing.

That's good to hear, especially for the US market. I was thinking about us,
European customers, who don't have access to that many "smaller" (no
disrespect nor disdain here) companies, and who often have to rely on big
names for our HPC projects. There are a few services/integration HPC companies
in the EU, but not any that I'm aware of selling their own hardware, as
Scalable or Penguin do. That's why I'm kind of concerned to see the number of
our purchasing options reducing rapidly.

What about SGI's international sales, btw? AFAIK, Rackable is not present on
the EU market, so will they expand here, or will they withdraw SGI's branches
and activities? The press release states "SGI's international operations would
be part of the sale, but would not be part of the bankruptcy process.", and
I'm not quite sure what's the real meaning of this.

Cheers,
--
Kilian