[Beowulf] Compute Node OS on Local Disk vs. Ram Disk

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 30 17:41:36 PDT 2008

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 09:05:16AM -0700, Jon Forrest wrote:
>
>> Probably the most dangerous is modifying
>> shared libraries and executables.
>
> Uh, this is the safest, if you do it correctly. How do you think
> people can use rpm/apt/whatever to update their systems with nothing
> going wrong?

Good point. However, I meant dangerous in the sense that you could have
multiple versions of the same program or shared library, started
using the same pathname, behaving differently because they're
different versions. I remember wasting a bunch of time once
because I wasn't paying attention to this.

Jon