[Beowulf] Compute Node OS on Local Disk vs. Ram Disk

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Sep 29 05:03:35 PDT 2008

Hi,

Am 29.09.2008 um 12:27 schrieb Alan Ward:

> Ram disks, definately. ;-)
>
> Afraid I'm still going with diskless nodes. You save
>
> 1. some money on the disks themselves
> 2. more money on solving disk failures

this highly depends on the used applications. Quantum chemistry code
like Gaussian03 or Molcas would run much slower, when all  scratch
files would be written to NFS instead of a local disk. We even use
two or three stripped disks in the nodes.

As the disk is in the node because of our applications anyway, I also
put the OS there.

-- Reuti