[Beowulf] mpich vs hp mpi performance

Håkon Bugge hbugge at platform.com
Fri Sep 26 11:41:35 PDT 2008

At 19:47 26.09.2008, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

>DYNA has 2 main solver types -- explicit
>(iteration based) and implicit (matrix
>inversion, essentially).  If you're only using
>one system and the explicit solver, then there's
>no need for any MPI, as ls-dyna is multi-threaded.

I ran both SMP version and MPP version of ls-dyna
on a dual-socket quad-core CloverTown. On the
Neon refined revised data set, the SMP version
achieved 25 jobs/24h. The MPP version achieved 36
jobs/24h. Hence, if you're able to use the
implicit solver, I advice you to use an MPI.

Thanks, Håkon

--
Håkon Bugge
Chief Technologist