[Beowulf] A couple of interesting comments

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Wed Sep 24 07:33:57 PDT 2008

Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> Oops. e-mailed to the wrong address. The cat's out of the bag now! No
> big deal.  I was 50/50 about CC-ing the list, anyway. Just remove the
> phrase "off-list" in the first sentence, and that last bit about not
> posting to the list because...
>
> Great. I'll never get a job that requires security clearance now! ;)
>
> --
> Prentice <---- still can't figure out how to use e-mail properly

Recently, I was proven to be unable to handle spreadsheets.  That can be
embarrassing when I claim to be able to manage and write numerical models...

> Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>> Gerry,
>>
>> I wanted to let you know off-list that I'm going through the same
>> problems right now. I thought you'd like to know you're not alone.  We
>> purchased a cluster from the *allegedly* same vendor. The PXE boot and
>> keyboard errors were the least of our problems.
>>
>> First, our cluster was delayed 2 months due to shortages of the network
>> hardware we specified. It was not the vendor standard for clustering,
>> but still a brand they resold.
>>
>> When it did arrive, the doors were damaged by the inadequately equipped
>> delivery co.
>>
>> When the technician arrived to finish setting up the cluster, he
>> discovered that the IB cables provided were too short to be within spec:
>> the bend radius would be too tight, and were too short to be supported
>> from above the connectors.
>>
>> And, the final problem I'm going to mention: the fiber network cables to
>> connect our ethernet switches to each other (we have Ethernet and IB
>> networks in this cluster) were missing.
>>
>> It's been over two weeks since our cluster arrived, and one week since
>> the technician noticed these shortages and reported them. Still haven't
>> had these problems rectified, and the technician will have to fly to our
>> site again in a couple weeks to complete the installation.
>>
>> I'm writing an article about this experience for Doug to publish. I
>> haven't posted this to the mailing list b/c I'm not sure what my
>> management will be happy with me sharing (the article will be reviewed
>> by them before publishing).

I'll add that we paid for next-day service, but I continue to be amaze
that this means Matt or I have to evaluate and troubleshoot the node
before the vendor sends out service. We can manage to drag "next
business day" out a few more days, somehow.

Our iSCSI cables were partially sent, but we were told we'd gotten what
they interpreted to be the right number; we bought more and it only took
a week or so to get them in.  We discovered the RAID shelves we'd
gotten, where the RFQ specifically called out RAID6 hardware-capable,
weren't, so we're doing JBOD/software RAID6 (our experience has proven
that we NEED RAID6).  When we enquired about giving back the RAID
shelves we were told that wasn't a possibility.

My impression is that the vendor is well-suited for small-medium
business-based clusters, but unfamiliar with how things work in the *nix
world, overall (I know there are exceptions).  I am concerned that each
of our compute nodes is, to them, just another webserver, and if it's
mission critical, we should have bought all sorts of additional services
and a shelf-spare server.  Or maybe we should just virtualize (yeah!
that's the ticket!  a virtual HPC cluster?).

We're starting to look again for HPC resources, but I doubt they'll be
asked to bid.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.862.3982 FAX: 979.862.3983